These salted caramel cashew donuts are light, fluffy, and loaded with nutty cashew flavors. They're also topped with an incredibly delicious date-based salted caramel!
Salted Caramel Cashew Donuts [Vegan]
For the Donuts:
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour ( gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup plant-based milk ( soy, almond...)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Salted Caramel Glaze:
- 1 cup dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/8 cup cashew butter
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease your donuts pan with coconut oil to avoid sticking. If using silicone donuts mold skip this step.
- In a mixing bowl, add dry ingredients: oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground flaxseeds, and salt. Mix using a whisk and create a well in the center.
- Add milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, vinegar, and cashew butter to the center of the well you created. With a whisk, start by whisking the wet ingredients first and slowly incorporating the dry ingredients from the side of the bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the batter into the donuts mold. Do not overfill your donuts mold, only add the batter to fill 3/4 way up, leaving space for the donuts to expand.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit a couple of minutes before unmolding. Unmold your donuts and transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the salted caramel, place your dates in a food processor and cover with hot water. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes to soften. Once soaked, add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place your salted caramel into a bowl and dip each donut into the caramel. Twist your donuts into the caramel in a clockwise motion as you carefully lift it. Sprinkle with flaky salt if desired.