Don't you just love a bowl of warm, creamy soup? This recipe brings ever-so-light heat from the bell peppers, sweetened by the creaminess of the corn and non-dairy milk. The vegetable broth lends a soft undertone of flavor that does not take focus from the main ingredients. Finally, the saffron imparts its signature color and flavor to this dish, making it truly worth splurging in for special occasions.
Saffron, Corn, and Bell Pepper Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Saffron, Corn, and Bell Pepper Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon oil or oil spray
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 spring onion
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
How to Prepare Saffron, Corn, and Bell Pepper Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking tray with foil.
- Slice the yellow bell pepper in half. Spray or brush the oil over each half. Place on the baking tray cut side down.
- Bake at 450°F for 25 minutes, until the skin turns slightly charred and wrinkly.
- Remove from the oven, cover and let cool. Peel away the charred skin and discard stem, seeds, and white membrane.
- Meanwhile, cook the corn in vegetable stock and milk. Add the base of the spring onion (white part) as a whole to the boiling broth. Reserve the green part for garnishing later.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Once the corn is cooked, pour a few spoons of the hot liquid to the saffron strands in a small bowl. Let the flavors seep. Discard the piece of cooked spring onion.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.