This vegan mushroom stroganoff is a great dish to cook for your favorite omnivores. It’s hearty enough so that they won’t even realize they’re eating health food. The portobello mushrooms give it a deep flavor and a thick, ‘meaty’ texture while the cashew cream and herbs envelop it in creamy decadence. It's quite easy to make and has only a few simple ingredients. This vegan mushroom stroganoff might be one of your new favorites!
Rustic, Creamy Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
- 3 cups fresh portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- Place cashews and half a cup of water in a blender or food processor and leave to soak.
- In a large pot, sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 – 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add vegetable broth. Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend cashews until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cashew cream and herbs to the pot, stirring well to combine. Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes. If the stew looks too thick, add a little water.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with pasta or rice.