This vegan mushroom stroganoff is a great dish to cook for your favorite omnivores. It’s hearty enough so that they won’t even realize they’re eating healthy food. The portobello mushrooms give it a deep flavor and a thick, ‘meaty’ texture while the cashew cream and herbs envelop it in creamy decadence. It's quite easy to make and has only a few simple ingredients. This vegan mushroom stroganoff might be one of your new favorites!
Rustic, Creamy Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Rustic, Creamy Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
- 3 cups fresh portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
How to Prepare Rustic, Creamy Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
- Place cashews and half a cup of water in a blender or food processor and leave to soak.
- In a large pot, sauté the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 – 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add vegetable broth. Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend cashews until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cashew cream and herbs to the pot, stirring well to combine. Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes. If the stew looks too thick, add a little water.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with pasta or rice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1004 | Total Carbs: 59 g | Total Fat: 81 g | Total Protein: 21 g | Total Sodium: 1415 mg | Total Sugar: 8 g Per Serving: Calories: 502 | Carbs: 30 g | Fat: 41 g | Protein: 11 g | Sodium: 708 mg | Sugar: 4 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.