In this pizza, earthy beet hummus and cashew cheese sit atop a crispy buckwheat flatbread crust. Although all the components of this pizza are homemade, it's incredibly easy to make. Add a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, green olives, a small handful of arugula, and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper to complete the experience
Rustic Buckwheat Flatbread Pizza With Beet Hummus and Cashew Cheese [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 cup water
For the Cashew Cheese:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 1 hour)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- A pinch Himalayan salt and black pepper
For the Beet Hummus:
- 7 ounces of cooked beets
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1-2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A handful of toasted walnuts (or hazelnuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- A pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt and black pepper
For the Toppings:
- Toasted walnuts
To Make the Crust:
- Pre-heat a griddle pan (or frying pan).
- In a bowl mix the flour, oil, baking powder, salt, and pepper, and then add the water. Mix to form a dough and knead a little so that it comes together, and then divide into two.
- On a floured chopping board, roll out the dough and then place on a griddle pan. Griddle pans work the best as you get lovely charred stripes on the flatbread but a frying pan also works.
- Cook the flatbread for a few minutes, then flip it over when the underside begins to char and cook on the other side for a minute or so.
To Make the Cashew Cheese:
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
To Make the Beet Hummus:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Place the walnuts on a baking tray and toast for about 5 minutes, until they begin to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the beets, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin seeds, nuts and olive oil.
- Pulse until smooth (approximately 2 minutes). Season to taste.
To Make the Pizza:
- Pre-make the cashew cheese and beetroot hummus.
- Griddle your flatbread then top with lots of beetroot hummus, cashew cheese, olives, walnuts, and peppery arugula.