The great thing about baking a galette is that the more rustic it looks the more charming it is. The simple and rough, unsophisticated look of a galette makes every one of them a unique piece of beauty, and this rhubarb and berry treat is no exception. Every baker add their own finger prints on the dough. Galette is rustic and elegant at the same time, which only adds the attraction of this very much loved pastry!
Rustic Berry Paraguayo Galette With Rhubarb [Vegan]
For the dough (makes 3 medium-sized galettes):
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 6 tablespoons corn flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (chilled)
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 3 tablespoons plantbased sour cream or yogurt
- 1-3 tsp erythritol or coconut sugar
Filling for one galette:
- 1 1/2 cup sliced paraguayos and rhubarb, blueberries, raspberries
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch (or potato starch)
- 2 teaspoons erythritol or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- Mix the dry dough ingredients. Add the coconut oil: cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or just your fingers and mix until it forms a dough.
- Cut the dough into 2-3 pieces (depending what size of galettes you want to make). Refrigerate the dough for an hour (optional).
- Pat the dough pieces flat and roll the dough into circles.
- Add the filling (all the filling ingredients nicely mixed together, leave 1 1/2 inches clear around the edge of the dough). Then fold the edges toward the center. Brush the edges with plant based milk.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-30 min depending on your oven. It’s ready when the pastry looks nice golden brown.
Try different combinations using your own favorite ingredients. Just take a deep look at your fridge and Im sure you are going to find some absolute gems there! Remember: Go with the flow. You never know what masterpieces you end up creating. There’s a little kitchen genius hiding in every one of us! Go find it!