This Apple Tart makes a wonderful dessert and will stun your guests with how pretty it is! Classic flavours of cinnamon and fresh-cut apples, on top of a gluten-free, vegan flaky crust. It’s one inviting and warmly spiced apple tart!
Rustic Apple Tart [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup teff flour
- 1/2 cup flax, milled / flaxseeds meal
- 1/3 arrowroot flour (or tapioca starch/ flour)
- 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon ice cold water
- 1/3 cup raw organic coconut oil (cold)
- 1/4 teaspoon himalayan or celtic salt
Cinnamon-Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 2-3 medium sized – ambrosia apples (recommended)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (not from concentrate)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Dough:
- Add the fine flaxseed meal along with the teff flour, arrowroot or tapioca flour, salt, and cold coconut oil, to a food processor and pulse until the dough comes together and the cold coconut oil is well blended with the dry ingredients.
- You can remove the dough from the food processor and continue by hand or leave the dough in the food processor and continue adding the ice cold water gradually.
- Add one table spoon at the time, and blend for 10-20 sec, or fold by hand, until all 1/3 cup of water is added in.
- Remove the dough from the food processor (or continue by hand) onto a glass bowl, and add the extra 1 tbsp of water.
- Fold the dough by hand until the water is well incorporated. Fold up to five more times giving the dough a uniform round shape.
- Refrigerate for 15 min max.
For the Filling:
- While the dough is resting in the fridge, clean and core the apples (do not peel unless preferred), cut in half and then thin even slices.
- Place the apple slices to a glass bowl.
- Add :
- lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- one teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar
- tapioca flour
- Mix lightly until the apples are evenly coated with the mixture.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon – set aside.