This salad is a perfect way to combine two powerhouse cruciferous vegetables – kale and cauliflower. With a slight heat from the cauliflower to compliment the zestyness of the massaged kale, this salad is definitely a winner!
Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower and Kale Salad [Vegan]
- 1/2 head cauliflower (washed, rinsed and dried)
- 5 stalks of curly kale (washed and rinsed)
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon tamari
- Salt and pepper (a pinch of each)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Coconut oil (optional)
- First you want to preheat your oven to 355°F. Take your clean cauliflower head and chop into the desired floret size. Place into a large mixing bowl. Add the turmeric, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion flakes, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly. You can add some coconut oil here if you want.
- Once all the florets are covered in the spices, place onto a lined baking tray, and pop into the oven for around 20-30 minutes depending on your oven or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Now to prep the kale. Take your clean kale stalks and gently rip away the leaf from the stalk. Do this in 3-4-inch chunks. Place the leaves into a large mixing bowl. Add the juice of half a lemon and the apple cider vinegar, and using your hands, gently massage the kale. Slowly you’ll begin to feel the kale become a bit "slimy" and it’ll reduce in size.
- Once the leaves are fully massaged, add the tamari, stir and place onto your plate. Chop the yellow pepper and celery stalk and add it to your plate. Once the cauliflower is done, allow to cool slightly before placing it on top of the kale. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and any other optional extras. You could sprinkle some nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor, or a drizzle of tahini or a salad dressing of your choice.