This tomato soup is no average recipe. The smokiness of the roasted vegetables elevates this dish from a childhood-favorite to an elegant dish.
Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup [Vegan]
- 17 1/2-ounces cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 3 large red peppers (sliced)
- 3 red onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 28-ounces chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon low-salt soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Handful of fresh basil
- 4 bay leaves
- Sprig of rosemary
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (fan-oven).
- Place the cherry tomatoes and peppers on an oven tray – drizzle with a little olive oil, then add the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, salt, pepper, and any other seasoning you choose.
- Then place the veg in the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft
- In the meantime, gently fry the onions in a large pan with a little olive oil – until soft – then add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes.
- Then add the sweet paprika, sugar, and balsamic to the tomato mixture.
- When cooked, add the roasted vegetables (but remove the bay leaves, rosemary first) and fresh basil then blend (doesn’t have to be completely smooth).