This fantastic salad combines roasted carrots and lemons with avocados topped with crunchy, toasted seeds and a delicious tangy citrus dressing. This is a winner that smells absolutely incredible!
Roasted Carrot Salad With Tangy Dressing [Vegan]
2 - 4
- 1/2 lb. organic carrots
- 1 organic lemon, sliced thin, then halved
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Ground pepper
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 TB. coconut oil
- 3 TB. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB. lemon juice
- 1 large avocado
- orange zest (optional) yet highly recommend
- Salad greens (your choice)
- 3 TB. mixed seeds, toasted
- 1 TB. raw hemp seeds (DO NOT toast)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut carrots into “thumb sized” lengths and place in steamer and steam for around 10 minutes till nearly cooked.
- Slice lemons and remove seeds carefully. You don’t want to crunch down on those!
- Put them into a roasting pan along with the sliced lemons.
- Now prepare the marinade:
- Into a food processor, add the garlic cloves, italian seasoning, chili powder, ground cumin, sea salt, pepper, orange zest and pulse till incorporated.
- The idea here is to build up the flavors.
- Add enough coconut oil (2 -3 TB.) to generously cover the paste, and good swig of apple cider vinegar. This will be like a marinade, a rub and dressing all in one!
- Pulse again to incorporate.
- Then put this marinade over the carrots and lemons on roasting pan, coating them well.
- Place the carrots/lemons in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- While the carrots/lemons are roasting, halve the avocado and remove the pit, then cut them into wedges lengthwise and place in a big bowl. When the carrots are ready, remove them from the oven and add them to the avocados (scrape pan for all the good seasoning to go in too.)
- In a small bowl, combine 1 TB. extra virgin olive oil, 2 – 3 TB. apple cider vinegar and 1 TB. lemon juice.
- Season and pour this dressing over the carrots/lemons and avocados. Mix together, have a taste and correct seasoning.
- Toast seeds in a small skillet till lightly browned. Put into a small bowl. Add raw hemp seeds to this toasted mix.
- Add salad greens to plate, and top with the carrot/lemon/avocado mixture.
- If you would like to add some chevre style goat cheese to this – go for it!
- Sprinkle over your toasted seed mix and drizzle over some extra-virgin olive oil (if desired).