This roasted beet and sorghum salad with ginger-lime vinaigrette is as pleasing to the eyes as it is to the taste buds. In this recipe, roasted beets are combined with sorghum, an ancient grain with a unique texture, and a zesty ginger-lime vinaigrette. This salad's vibrant flavors make it ideal for serving at barbecues and outdoor parties, or it can be brought along to work for lunch whenever the weather is warm.
Roasted Beet Sorghum Salad With Ginger-Lime Vinaigrette [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 1/2 cups sorghum
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 pounds beets
- 2-3 kale leaves, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
To Make the Sorghum:
- In a medium-sized pot, add the dry sorghum and the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for one hour.
- Taste the sorghum after one hour. If the broth has been absorbed, but the grain is still too hard, add 1/2 cup water and continue cooking until the grains are tender. If the grains are tender, remove from heat, drain any excess water, and set aside.
To Make the Beets:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Loosely wrap the beets in foil.
- Roast in the oven for 30 to 60 minutes, until a knife slides in easily. Roasting time varies a lot depending on the size of the beets, so check after 30 minutes if your beets are small.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beet skin off. Dice the beets and set aside.
To Make the Vinaigrette:
- In a mason jar, measure the lime juice, ginger, flaxseed oil, agave nectar, mustard, and white wine vinegar. Seal the jar and shake until the vinaigrette has emulsified.
To Make the Salad:
- In a large bowl, add the cooked sorghum, diced beets, red onions, and chopped kale.
- Add the currants and sumac. Pour the ginger-lime vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.