Look at this beet hummus. It’s a total stunner, and it has the most irresistible taste to match. Here, white beans are blended with earthy steamed beetroot. Make it a meal by rounding out your bowl with toothsome black lentils (if you can’t find them, French lentils make a nice substitute), sautéed shredded kale and Brussels sprouts, and crisp cucumber.
Roasted Beet Hummus Bowls [Vegan]
For the Bowl:
- 1 medium red beet (about 6 ounces [168 g])
- 1 1/2 cups (360 g) or 1 (15-ounce [420 g]) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup (80 g) tahini
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (140 g) black beluga lentils, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (23 ml) avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale, leaves thinly shredded
- 8 ounces (225 g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 1/2 cup (55 g) shredded rainbow carrot
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced and pickled (see page XX)
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) Savory Seed Sprinkle (page XX)
- Warm pita, for serving (optional)
For the Savory Seed Sprinkle:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (35 g) raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup (35 g) raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (30 g) raw sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) raw sesame seeds (regular, black, or a mix)
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) any mix of fennel seed, cumin seed, and caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC or gas mark 6).
- Wrap the beetroot in foil and roast until tender enough to be pierced through with a knife, 60 to 70 minutes. When cool enough to handle, use a paper towel to rub off the beet skin and discard. Remove the root and roughly chop the beet.
- Place the chopped beet, white beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, fennel seed, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Place the lentils and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan and cover with water by at least 2 inches (5 cm). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the excess water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the kale and Brussels sprouts and cook, tossing occasionally, until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the carrot.
- To serve, divide the beet hummus among four bowls and spread over the bottom and up one side. Top with the lentils, kale mixture, cucumber, and pickled fennel and sprinkle with the Savory Seed Sprinkle. Serve with warm pita, if desired.
Get a head start! | The beetroot can be roasted, peeled, and chopped a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. The hummus can be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The lentils can be cooked in advance and reheated, if desired, before serving.