Replace hot dogs with something much healthier with this delicious veggie rolls recipe! Fresh and flaky homemade buns make the perfect vessel for savory roasted chickpeas and a rainbow of vegetables – carrot, parsnip, asparagus, and greens. The maple-y tahini sauce ties everything together beautifully.
Roasted Balsamic Veggie Rolls [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Balsamic Veggie Rolls [Vegan]
For the Buns:
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3 1/2 teaspoons fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan
For the Roasted Chickpeas and Vegetables:
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 yellow carrot
- 1 orange carrot
- 1 potato
- 1 small parsnip
- 4 asparagus stalks
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon balsamic syrup
- Mustard (optional)
- Spinach, kale, or arugula (optional)
How to Prepare Roasted Balsamic Veggie Rolls [Vegan]
To Make the Buns:
- Add the dry ingredients to wet and give them a good mix. The dough is supposed to be soft and not too sticky when ready. Shape into hot dog buns. Let rest and rise for at least 30 minutes. Bake at 428°F for 25-30 minutes. You can knock on the bottom of a bun, if you hear a hollow sound it has baked well.
To Make the Roasted Chickpeas and Vegetables:
- Julienne the root vegetables, put them on an oven tray and add all your favorite spices. Garlic, salt and pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, dried flakes of tomato, and paprika powder are all good choices. Sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil on the veggies. Roast at 435°F for about 20 minutes and then add the cooked chickpeas and asparagus stalks. Roast for 6 more minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the tahini sauce together.
- Add some leafy greens like spinach, kale, or arugula to the base of the bun, along with the tahini sauce, mustard, and any other toppings of your choice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 365 | Carbs: 49 g | Fat: 16 g | Protein: 10 g | Sodium: 137 mg | Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.