This is EPIC. Just LOOK at this thing. Pasta in pie form. Pasta PIZZA. Oh my. Cheesy, spicy, filled with garlicy, meaty goodness. Are you trembling in fear? In love? Do you even know what you're feeling? Good, that means GET COOKING.
Rigatoni Pie With Spicy Pomodoro Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 16 ounce package Rigatoni noodles
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Olive oil
- 1 heaping cup white onion, minced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (you can add more or less depending on your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, optional
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons white granulated sugar, starting with 1/2 tablespoon at a time (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 2 vegan beef-flavored bouillon cubes
- 4 ounces vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups vegan mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil Rigatoni noodles in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain and toss in about a teaspoon of olive oil to avoid the noodles sticking together. Set aside.
- To rehydrate the TVP, add 1 cup boiling water to a bowl with 1 cup TVP. Mix to combine. Set aside to rehydrate, about 10-15 minutes. While your TVP is rehydrating, start on the spicy pomodoro sauce.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, sauté onion, parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, and red pepper flakes for about 6-8 minutes, or until onions are slightly translucent and fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, coconut milk, Italian seasoning, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and sugar (adding 1/2 tablespoon at a time). Mix to combine all the ingredients. Add TVP, mixing to combine. Turn heat to a high and bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring and tasting occasionally.
- While your sauce is simmering, lightly coat a 12-inch springform pan with olive oil.
- Begin lining the outer part of the pan with rigatoni noodles, working your way into the middle.
- Once the entire springform pan is lined with noodles, pour about half the sauce over the noodles. Gently tap the pan against your counter top to ensure sauce gets into the majority of the rigatoni.
- Add half of your vegan Parmesan cheese, then the rest of your sauce. Top with 2 cups vegan mozzarella.
- Last, turn your broiler to high and broil rigatoni pie for about 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese begins to bubble and brown (check constantly).
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for at least 20 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove spring from the pan.
- Serve sliced and garnished with minced flat leaf parsley.
Add the sugar if you want to cut some of the acidity of the tomatoes. After each 1/2 tablespoon added, taste the sauce and continue to add as needed. If you like the acidity, then just omit the sugar.