Kale is one fine vegetable! It is almost like this gigantic green full of nutrients. This cruciferous vegetable is rich in Vitamins K, A ,C, anti-oxidants, fiber, antinflammatory omega 3s and cancer preventing phytonutrients! We started eating Kale only after our recent transition to a vegan diet and as with any new vegetable, Mostly it ends up as kale chips with olive oil, salt and pepper or chili powder, or in salads. I try to find ways to incorporate it in our daily meals. To prep Kale, wash, pat dry, Cut up the thick stems, remove ribs and cut the leaves into desired sizes. Cook the stems before the leaves and for longer and then add leaves. I added some Kale recently to Daal (lentil soup) and that turned out wonderful! I added it to this Rice Pilaf for a wonderfully balanced, easy, almost one pot meal or a great side for a holiday spread!
Rice Pilaf With Kale, Cashews, and Veggies [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup bell peppers
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 green chili chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Pav bhaji masala or garam masala or Biryani masala(pav bhaji masala tastes the best for me. All of these spice mixes and can be bought at indian store or world spices shop)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces
- pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
- Soak rice in enough water to cover and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker or deep pan, add oil and heat on medium.
- Add cumin seeds when oil gets hot, and wait for half a minute for them to roast.
- Add in the bay leaf, green chili and garlic and cook for a minute till garlic is golden.
- Add in the onions, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the cashews, bell peppers, carrots, kale stems, any other veggies, tempeh if using, and the pav bhaji masala. Mix and cook on low-medium, covered, for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the kale leaves, half the salt and mix well. Cover for another minute.
- Add in the drained rice, water and salt. give it a mix and cook covered till rice is cooked or for 2 whistles in the pressure cooker.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, pomegranate seeds or crumble some potato chips and serve hot!
Other optional additions: finely chopped other veggies like green beans, peas, celery or small cubes of Tempeh.