Wow wow wow. This rhubarb chutney is full of flavor - it even has a little bit a of a kick - and it goes well with pretty much everything!
Rhubarb Chutney [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Rhubarb Chutney [Vegan]
- 2 cups of rhubarb
- 5 large strawberries
- 1 red Tropea spring onion
- 1 small red apple
- 1 piece of fresh ginger of 5 cm approx. 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh hyssop
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 4 cardamom berries
- 1 teaspoon of concentrated tamarind sauce
- 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of whole cane sugar
- 1 cup of apple vinegar
- water if needed
How to Prepare Rhubarb Chutney [Vegan]
- Crush the cardamom berries and extract the seeds.
- Heat the pot with thyme and hyssop and toast the spices for a couple of minutes: cardamom, cumin, red pepper, fennel seeds, black mustard seeds. Remove the aromatic herbs, combine the spices in a mortar and crush them until they become powdered.
- Cut into small pieces small apple, rhubarb and peeled onion.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into slices. Put everything in the pan together with the spices and the cinnamon stick, add the salt and start cooking over a low heat with a lid.
- Check from time to time that the preparation does not stick to the pot, if necessary add gradually little water.
- After about 1 hour add the apple vinegar and the diced strawberries. Stir and continue cooking over a very sweet fire. About 15 minutes from the end, add the brown sugar and tamarind sauce.
- Cool the chutney, remove the cinnamon then add the mint leaves cut into strips.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.