Wow wow wow. This rhubarb chutney is full of flavor - it even has a little bit a of a kick - and it goes well with pretty much everything!
Rhubarb Chutney [Vegan]
- 2 cups of rhubarb
- 5 large strawberries
- 1 red Tropea spring onion
- 1 small red apple
- 1 piece of fresh ginger of 5 cm approx. 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh hyssop
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 4 cardamom berries
- 1 teaspoon of concentrated tamarind sauce
- 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of whole cane sugar
- 1 cup of apple vinegar
- water if needed
- Crush the cardamom berries and extract the seeds.
- Heat the pot with thyme and hyssop and toast the spices for a couple of minutes: cardamom, cumin, red pepper, fennel seeds, black mustard seeds. Remove the aromatic herbs, combine the spices in a mortar and crush them until they become powdered.
- Cut into small pieces small apple, rhubarb and peeled onion.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into slices. Put everything in the pan together with the spices and the cinnamon stick, add the salt and start cooking over a low heat with a lid.
- Check from time to time that the preparation does not stick to the pot, if necessary add gradually little water.
- After about 1 hour add the apple vinegar and the diced strawberries. Stir and continue cooking over a very sweet fire. About 15 minutes from the end, add the brown sugar and tamarind sauce.
- Cool the chutney, remove the cinnamon then add the mint leaves cut into strips.