Before you give up on making a quinoa burger that isn't mush, you need to try these. In this recipe, red quinoa is combined with mild seasonings and onion to create a burger that won't fall apart on you. They can be baked or fried, depending on your preferences; either way yields a satisfying burger that's worthy of sharing with your friends. Serve these burgers on a gluten-free bun with whatever toppings you're craving.
Red Quinoa Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, soaked overnight
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons tahini
- 2-3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- In a small lidded pot, bring the quinoa and 1 cup water to boil. Let simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes. Set the pot aside for at least another 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Peel and chop the onion roughly. Place it in the blender with 1/4 cup water and blend to a fine cream. Pour the blended onion into a medium sized bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa, buckwheat flour, tahini, smoked paprika, coriander, and salt. Stir well.
- Dip your hands in cold water prior to forming the patties.
- If you have a very good non-stick frying pan, consider frying them without extra oil. Cook the burgers on medium-low heat for at least 10 minutes on each side.
- If you are cooking them in the oven, preheat the oven to 390°F, line the baking tray with parchment paper, and cook the patties for approximately 10-15 minutes on each side. Don’t overcook, otherwise they might get a little too crunchy.