Puréed butternut squash is an excellent light dinner choice when paired with salad or a beautiful vibrant beginning to any get-together. In this recipe, creamy butternut squash soup is bulked up a bit with the addition of fluffy quinoa and is studded with red pears for a fresh twist. If you'd like, you can add some crushed chili flakes to add some heat to this otherwise sweet dish.
Red Pear and Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup red pear, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Salt, according to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili flakes, optional
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add sesame seeds, garlic, oregano, and butternut squash pieces.
- Sauté and cook covered for 5-7 minutes until squash softens. Add pear and sauté again for 30 seconds.
- Add vegetable broth and boil covered for couple of minutes. Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- When cooled blend it smooth. Pour back the soup in the same sauce and warm it again in a medium flame.
- Add rest of the ingredients, mix, and serve immediately.