This healthy red lentil curry is well-seasoned, hearty, and delicious. Instead of using salt, this recipe instead calls for a number of flavorful spices, and instead of oil, the onions are cooked in water. Simple and easy-to-make.
Healthy Low-Sodium Red Lentil Curry [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 14-ounce can of tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 2 cups cooked rice, for serving
- A few tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cook the lentils in the 2 cups of water until tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- Place the 1/4 cup water into a frying pan with the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, tomato purée, and sugar. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cayenne pepper to taste along with the snipped basil.
- Serve over rice with chopped fresh cilantro.