These red bean sausages will become a staple in your household. Mashed red beans are combined with wheat protein and a wealth of savory spices that give them an amazing flavor. Then, they're steamed and pan-fried until just slightly crisp on the outside, but tender and meaty on the inside. Serve these with vegetables of your choice or vegan mac and cheese!
Red Bean Sausages [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Red Bean Sausages [Vegan]
For the Spices:
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder/onion powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sage
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
For the Sausage Filling:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 cup cooked red beans
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4-5 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- A few drops liquid smoke
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
How to Prepare Red Bean Sausages [Vegan]
- Mix the spices together and set aside. Pan-fry the onions and garlic in olive oil until starting to get brown. Set aside to cool.
- Then, mash the beans well with a potato masher or pulse in the food processor, but leave lots of whole beans and chunks. Mix the spices in with the beans and add the remainder of the sausage ingredients. Mix together well before adding the cooled vegetables.
- Lay out a large cutting board and dust well with flour. Now scoop the mixture out .5 c. at a time and roll into sausage shapes.
- When you're finished shaping, roll each sausage into a small piece of aluminum foil (like a burrito) and put into a steamer basket. Steam for 20 minutes and rack to cool.
- These freeze really well or can be cooked right away. Get a cast iron pan really hot and sear them around for a while before adding peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever else you have around.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 190 | Carbs: 24 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 14 g | Sodium: 570 mg | Sugar: 2 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.