Classic Louisiana gumbo is traditionally a bean stew made with meat or shrimp, okra, red pepper, celery, and onion. In this vegan version, beans function as the only protein and do not hold back on flavor. Not only is it full of layers upon layers of flavor, but this dish only requires one-pot.
Classic Louisiana-Style Red Bean Gumbo [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 12 ounces okra
- 8 and 1/2 ounces red beans, cooked
- 1 carrot, cut into circles
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, melted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 9 ounces tomato juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon flour (gluten-free or grain-free if necessary)
- Put all the vegetables in the pot with 2 1/2 cups of water and let them simmer over medium heat.
- After 15 minutes, add tomato juice and spices.
- Add the beans to the pot. Put 3 tablespoons of the mixture and mix with the flour in a separate bowl. Then place the mixture back in the pot.
- Add oil and mix before removing from heat.