I made these oatmeal coconut chocolate chip cookies for a cooking class recently and a number of people said they tasted like Samoas. Google to the rescue showed me what they looked like and I got to melting some chocolate. These may not be exactly like those cookies (there's no caramel and I've added oats), but will be close enough for those who want the memories without the hydrogenated oil and corn syrup.
Samoa-Like Coconut Oatmeal Cookie [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Samoa-Like Coconut Oatmeal Cookie [Vegan]
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4-1 cup barley flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A dash of nutmeg
- A dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons flax meal
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or other granulated sugar)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
How to Prepare Samoa-Like Coconut Oatmeal Cookie [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line one large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate chips, until smooth and creamy.
- Mix wet into dry ingredients until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon-sized spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Using wet fingertips or back of spoon press down each cookie evenly (continue to wet fingers to prevent sticking).
- The cookies will not spread much, so you can put them close together.
- Bake for 13 minutes then rotate and bake 6 more minutes.
- Let sit on cookie sheet for a few minutes then remove and cool on a wire rack.
Optional: Melt down 1 cup chocolate chips with 1/4 cup almond milk. Dip each cookie or spread chocolate along the bottom. Place on parchment paper chocolate side up and allow chocolate to harden. Warm up chocolate sauce again with a little extra almond milk. Flip cookies and drizzle chocolate along the top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.