Valentine's Day is fast approaching and if you have been looking for a healthier option for this occasion, I've got it! A raw coconut yogurt would be the perfect start to a breakfast in bed, or a light dessert at the end of your meal. Flavor the yogurt with whatever you like, but the addition of raspberries (fresh or frozen) and vanilla bean is ideal for Valentine's Day. This yogurt has all the beneficial bacteria that regular yogurt does, but without the dairy! When picking powdered probiotics, be sure to choose one that is vegan.
Raw Coconut Yogurt
- 2 cups coconut meat (approximately the meat from two young coconuts)
- coconut water as need to reach desired consistency (approximately one cup)
- 1 teaspoon powdered probiotics
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or scrape the seeds from a vanilla bean
- fresh or frozen raspberries
- Scoop coconut meat from young coconut and add to blender with coconut water (starting with about 1/2 a cup).
- Blend until smooth and add more water if necessary.
- Stir in probiotics and vanilla bean powder.
- Place in a covered bowl and dehydrate at 105 degrees F about 8-10 hours. This is a fermentation process, allowing the yogurt to develop those probiotics. If you do not have a dehydrator, simply store in a warm, dark, dry place for 8-10 hours. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Stir in raspberries just before serving.