Summer may not seem like the perfect time for a bowl of Curried Lentil Soup. That’s because we typically think a hearty bowl of piping hot soup is more of a winter dish. Soup has become typecast! I’m challenging us to reconsider our preconceived notions and give soup another chance at becoming a summer staple. Here are some reasons I think soup can make a great summer meal: You don’t typically have to fire up the oven to make soup which keeps the kitchen a little cooler when the weather outside is so hot A batch of soup can result in leftovers for the week – another advantage for busy summer days You can eat soup warmed up or you can eat it cold, making it a very versatile dish for a summer meal The ingredients for most soups are things you can buy at your local farmer’s market Soup makes a perfect companion to a summer salad. So embrace the heat outdoors with a little bit of “heat” of your own in the kitchen by giving Curried Lentil Soup recipe a try.
Curried Lentil Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Curried Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bragg
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 14.5 ounces canned stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups dried red or brown/green lentils
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped green onions
- vegan sour cream
How to Prepare Curried Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- Sauté onion and garlic over medium heat in oil in large saucepan until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry, carrots and potatoes and cook until vegetables begin to become tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and turn up the heat until the soup comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish servings of your lentil soup with chopped green onions, tomatoes, and/or vegan sour cream.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.