Whether it’s a hot summer day or a cold winter outside, you can never go wrong with a raw vegan avocado cake. No matter what’s the occasion – a birthday party or anniversary – this cake will always surprise your guests. It looks absolutely stunning (without using any artificial colors!), tastes refreshing, but it’s still satisfying at the same time. And yes, it’s a nutrition bomb. Literally. The crust is made from dates and almonds, but the creamy filling consists of avocados and is sweetened with banana and maple syrup.
Raw Superfood Avocado Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Crust:
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes or shreds
- Pinch of sea salt
To Make the Filling:
- 4 middle size ripe avocados
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/5 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder (optional – mainly for color, but also boost the nutrition)
- Prepare the crust. Put the almonds and sea salt into a food processor and process until finely chopped (you should still be able to see bigger pieces). Then add dates and coconut flakes, blend until you get a sticky almond-date crumble. Transfer this mixture to a 7-inch cake pan and press evenly into the pan. Place the pan in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Prepare the filling. Put avocados, banana, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, spirulina, lime, and lemon juice into the food processor. Blend until you get a creamy and smooth mixture. Taste to see if there’s any more need for sweetener or lemon juice. Transfer the mixture to the prepared crust shell. Carefully smooth out the top to even it out. Sprinkle with any decorative toppings.
- Freeze for 4-5 hours or overnight. Let it sit out for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.