Decadent and creamy, it's hard to believe these "salted caramel" slices are vegan and raw! These bars consist of three layers: an almond crust, cashew vanilla filling, and a rich, fig-based caramel topping. Best part is you can enjoy them in two ways, soft and velvety or slightly frozen for a refreshing summer treat!
Raw Salted Caramel Slices [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup almonds, soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained
- 3/4 cup dates, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
For the Vanilla Filling:
- 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in filtered water for at least 3 hours, then drained
- 3/4 cup dates
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
For the Salted Caramel:
- 2 dried figs, diced
- 1/4 cup dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped walnuts (optional)
- Pulse the almonds to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Pulse the dates and add to the bowl. Pour in the desiccated coconut and mix well.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper. Pour the dough for the crust onto the tray and spread it evenly and firmly. Place in freezer while preparing the filling.
- For the vanilla filling, blend all ingredients to a fine cream.
- Take the cake tin out of the freezer and pour the filling into it. Spread it evenly.
- Then make the "salted caramel" by blending all ingredients to a creamy paste. Place a few dollops of the "salted caramel" on top of the vanilla layer and then use a teaspoon to make swirls. Gently shake it to make it set evenly again.
- Place in the freezer until set. Let defrost a little before slicing.