This recipe will be an adventure for even the most experienced taco connoisseur. The from-scratch corn tortillas are dehydrated and then filled with a savory 'mince' of walnuts, zucchini, and a bold blend of Mexican spices.
Raw Mexican Tacos With Corn Tortillas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tortillas:
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ground golden flax seed meal
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
For the Savory Mince:
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 2 hours
- 3/4 cup walnuts, soaked for 2 hours
- 1/2 a large zucchini, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the Garnish:
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, finely sliced
- 3-4 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- A dozen sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley to garnish
To Make the Tortillas:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process them until they're well mixed and relatively smooth; a little texture is fine.
- Make the dough into tortillas and spread them out in circles on a teflex sheet on a dehydrator tray as evenly as possible.
- Place in a dehydrator and dehydrate them at 105°F for 4 hours.
- Flip the tortillas and remove the teflex sheet and allow to dry for another 2-3 hours.
- They are ready when they are dry but still soft and pliable.
For the Savory Mince:
- Drain and rinse the seeds and walnuts and place in the food processor.
- Pulse in the food processor a few times to break them down slightly before you add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Process this until the mixture is well combined and relatively smooth; a little texture is fine.
- Place the mixture in a bowl until you are ready to make the tacos.
To Make the Tacos:
- Lay 6 corn tortillas out and add the lettuce leaves.
- Fill the lettuce leaves with around 1 heaped tablespoon of the "mince." This helps to keep the taco firm.
- Add the carrot, avocado, rash, tomatoes, and parsley.
The savory mince will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. The is from The Unbakery.