These cherry dumplings are impressive to look at, fun to make, and they taste fantastic! The cherry filling is a simple blend of cherries and dates that is wrapped in a silky-smooth purple yam and date outside. These treats are perfect as a gift, after coffee, or to finish a decadent meal.
Raw Cherry Dumplings [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Raw Cherry Dumplings [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dumpling:
- 2 + 1/2 cup purple sweet potato purée
- 1 tablespoon water from soaked dates
- 1 tablespoon cherry juice, from the thawed cherries
- 3 dates, soaked
- 1 1-inch slice creamed coconut
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup frozen pitted cherries, thawed at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons cherry juice, from the thawed cherries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beet powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup dates, soaked
- 1/2 tablespoon psyllium husk
How to Prepare Raw Cherry Dumplings [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Peel and cut yams into small cubes.
- Place them into a pot of water and bring them to a boil.
- Cook them until the potatoes are fork-tender (about 15 minutes), drain, and let them cool.
- Please place them in a food processor and process them until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process them until the mixture is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (or until the mixture is firm enough to roll into balls).
- For the jam filling, blend the thawed cherries with some cherry juice (from the thawed cherries) and dates until it becomes smooth.
- Add a half tablespoon psyllium husk and pulse this together.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the dumpling mixture from the refrigerator. Divide the dough into ten equal portions, and then gently roll each portion into a round using a circular motion with the palm of your hand.
- Remove cherry jam filling from the refrigerator, then take about 1 tablespoon from the jam and roll this into balls.
- Holding a circle of dough in your palm, put the (jam ball) filling in the center of the dough and form a ball around the cherry center.
- For coating, the dumplings combine 5-6 tablespoons of shredded coconut with the remaining cherry juice from the thawed cherries, spread this mixture on a dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate it at 140°F for 1 hour (or dry it in the oven). Roll dumplings in the coconut.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.