These cherry dumplings are impressive to look at, fun to make, and they taste fantastic! The cherry filling is a simple blend of cherries and dates that is wrapped in a silky-smooth purple yam and date outside. These treats are perfect as a gift, after coffee, or to finish a decadent meal.
Raw Cherry Dumplings [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dumpling:
- 2 + 1/2 cup purple sweet potato purée
- 1 tablespoon water from soaked dates
- 1 tablespoon cherry juice, from the thawed cherries
- 3 dates, soaked
- 1 1-inch slice creamed coconut
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup frozen pitted cherries, thawed at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons cherry juice, from the thawed cherries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beet powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup dates, soaked
- 1/2 tablespoon psyllium husk
- Peel and cut yams into small cubes.
- Place them into a pot of water and bring them to a boil.
- Cook them until the potatoes are fork-tender (about 15 minutes), drain, and let them cool.
- Please place them in a food processor and process them until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process them until the mixture is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (or until the mixture is firm enough to roll into balls).
- For the jam filling, blend the thawed cherries with some cherry juice (from the thawed cherries) and dates until it becomes smooth.
- Add a half tablespoon psyllium husk and pulse this together.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the dumpling mixture from the refrigerator. Divide the dough into ten equal portions, and then gently roll each portion into a round using a circular motion with the palm of your hand.
- Remove cherry jam filling from the refrigerator, then take about 1 tablespoon from the jam and roll this into balls.
- Holding a circle of dough in your palm, put the (jam ball) filling in the center of the dough and form a ball around the cherry center.
- For coating, the dumplings combine 5-6 tablespoons of shredded coconut with the remaining cherry juice from the thawed cherries, spread this mixture on a dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate it at 140°F for 1 hour (or dry it in the oven). Roll dumplings in the coconut.