We love carrot cake in any variation around here and I have been experimenting for quite some time to make a version that's high in fiber, has no refined sugars, and is packed with healthy fats and fresh spices aiding digestion. Voilá!
Raw Carrot Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 large apple
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups dates, pitted
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger, fresh
- 2 tablespoons vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cardamom, fresh
- 2 cups cashews (soaked in fresh lemon juice overnight)
- 3 dates
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup
- Mix all base ingredients in a high speed processor until roughly chopped. The consistency of the base should be quite coarse.
- Press this mixture firmly into a cake form.
- Drain lemon juice from cashews, rinse with clean water, and blend icing ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer for at least two hours before serving.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to one week.