This delicious raw carrot cake is made from almonds and dates (no grains here) and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg. and a touch of allspice — three things found in the best carrot cakes! Apart from the almond soaking and cake freezing times, which you can spend sleeping, watching football or mowing the lawn, this cake is quick and easy to make! You just mix the daylights out of two different sets of ingredients, add them to a pan, and chill while it chills! That’s all there is to making this seriously good and amazingly delicious raw carrot cake!
Raw Carrot Cake With Maple Cashew Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 1/4 cups almonds, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar (see notes)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- Add all the cake ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth, stopping to stir or redistribute the mix when needed.
- Add all the frosting ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth, stopping to stir or redistribute the mix when needed.
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch round springform pan with parchment paper.
- Pour and then push the cake mixture into the form first, trying to make the mix level. Then pour the frosting on top and spread with a spatula or broad knife.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove the cake and wait about 30 minutes before serving.
Using the extract will give the frosting a slightly beige tint.