Kebabs aren’t just for outdoor summer barbecues; they’re an anytime meal-on-a-stick you can make in the oven, rain or shine! We like to serve these atop a bed of fluffy rice, but you might slide the tofu and veggies off the skewer and serve them on a salad or stuffed in a pita.
Rainbow Tofu Kebabs [Vegan]
- 1 (16-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 batch marinade of choice (such as Orange Ginger Marinade; Teriyaki Sauce; or Barbecue Sauce)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into 8 chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into 8 chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into 8–16 wedges
- Cut the tofu into 16 cubes. Pierce the tofu cubes on all sides with a toothpick; this will allow the marinade to reach farther into the tofu, imparting more flavor. Place the tofu in a large bowl or a plastic bag, cover with your chosen marinade, and allow the tofu to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. The longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- One by one, skewer the ingredients in the following order: cherry tomato, marinated tofu, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, marinated tofu, zucchini, and one or two onion slices. Place each assembled kebab on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon additional marinade over the tofu and unmarinated veggies.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through to your liking.
When grilling the kebabs, make sure to use metal skewers. Place the skewers on a heated grill and grill for about 10 minutes, flipping as needed, until you see grill marks on the tofu and the veggies are cooked to your liking.