Who doesn’t love a good quinoa salad? It’s funny actually, quinoa was something my family didn’t introduce into their kitchen until a couple of years ago. We often prepare it warm, but it also makes really good leftovers as a cold salad. The great thing about quinoa is that it’s not only gluten-free, but it also contains important nutrients such as protein, fiber, and various essential vitamins and minerals. What’s not to love? Quinoa is also incredibly filling, so a little goes a long way. I made this dish for about six people as side dishes and there were still leftovers to spare.
Quinoa, Lime and Black Bean Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 4 tbs extra-virgin olive oil, more if necessary
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2-3 vine-ripened tomatoes (I also added some organic salsa)
- 1 can black beans
- 1/3 chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- black pepper, to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water has evaporated. Be sure to set aside to cool.
- Whisk oil, lime juice, and spices together in a bowl to make the dressing.
- Combine quinoa, tomatoes/salsa, cuban black beans, cilantro, and onion together in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.