This recipe for mini quinoa burgers really hits the spot. These powerhouse patties are made by combining quinoa, green lentils, and walnuts with nutritional yeast for a slightly cheesy flavor. As soon as you taste one, you'll know that these are something to add to your weekly recipe rotation.
Quinoa, Lentil, and Walnut Protein Patties [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa
- 1/3 cup dry green lentils
- 3 cups water, for boiling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Boil the quinoa and the lentils in 3 cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain them after boiling. They will be cooked, but still with a somewhat hard texture.
- Put the lentils and quinoa in a food processor and mix briefly. Add the onion, garlic, nutritional yeast, cumin, black pepper, and breadcrumbs and mix them until thoroughly combined but with a slight texture left.
- Add the walnuts and pulse the food processor a few times.
- Shape into patties and cook both sides (until you get a good crust) in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat. Alternatively, you can bake them for 15-25 minutes at 400°F.
- Cook the patties in a skillet over medium heat, or bake them for 15-25 minutes.