You don’t need meat in your chili to get your fair share of protein. Instead, you can enjoy this protein-full bowl of quinoa, kidney beans, and black beans that are cooked with garlic, onions, red pepper, jalapeños, and spices for guaranteed flavor. This chili isn’t too spicy—it just has a subtle kick—but if you want to up the ante, you can use a whole jalapeño instead of half. This bowl also tastes great topped with some avocado and vegan yogurt.
Quinoa Chili [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, plus 1⁄4 cup extra for garnish
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 small jalapeño, finely chopped, plus 1⁄4 jalapeño thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and the half bell pepper.
- Cook about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, chopped jalapeño, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, black beans, and kidney beans; reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with green onion and sliced jalapeño and 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper. Serve warm.