This protein-packed chickpea and spinach curry is the perfect meal in a pinch! If you’re a fan of chickpeas alone, you need this dish in your life. This curry will fill you up without weighing you down and — the kicker — you can make it ahead of time and it freezes beautifully. The leftovers are delicious, if not better since the flavors mingle and get to know one another over time. Serve it over fluffy rice, with naan, as a side, or eat it on its own.
20-Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 heaping handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons heaping curry paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric optional
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste if needed
- Heat oil in a skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the shallots, ginger, and garlic. Simmer until fragrant, stirring often to prevent browning; approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and drained tomatoes. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and cook until it's wilted down. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may want to add one handful at a time.
- Add the coconut milk, curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, and salt. Stir until the paste has dissolved and the seasonings have mixed in well. This may take approximately 2-3 minutes of constant stirring and folding.
- Allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.