A festive, vegan doughnut recipe great for an autumn morning. This is a healthier alternative to a fried, fall favorite.
Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts With Maple Glaze [Vegan]
To Make the Doughnuts:
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée, canned
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped (topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a donut pan with vegan butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl whisk the pumpkin puree, applesauce, brown sugar, vegan butter, and almond milk. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Fill the donut pan with batter and bake for 10-12 minutes. When the donuts are finished baking, remove the donuts from the pan and onto a cooling rack.
- While the donuts are cooling, mix together the ingredients for the glaze: powdered sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, unsweetened almond milk, and ground cinnamon. Dip the cooled donuts into the glaze and top with toasted walnuts.