This pumpkin risotto is the perfect autumnal dish, creamy and indulgent, yet healthy and warming. Sage makes a perfect accompaniment to the pumpkin, while arugula adds that peppery green kick. You could switch up rocket for kale which is also currently in season. And feel free to trade pumpkins for other squashes to your hearts content! So get in the autumn food mood and dig into this!
Pumpkin Risotto [Vegan]
- 1 large cooking pumpkin (1 and a 1/2 if you can only find small to medium ones.)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- A sprig of sage
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin and cut into chunks.
- Place the pumpkin on to a roasting tray. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and chilli flakes and mix so the pumpkin is covered evenly. Season with pepper and salt to your taste. Place into the oven at 392°F, to roast for 40 minutes, until the pumpkin is starting to brown and crisp.
- Place a little less than one cup of the roasted pumpkin into a blender along with the stock and 2 sage leaves. Blend until smooth.
- Place the butter in a large pan on a low heat. Once melted add the risotto rice and fry for one minute.
- Add the pumpkin stock to the pan one ladle at a time. After adding each ladle stir continuously until all the stock has been absorbed before adding the next one.
- Place a small pan on a low heat and toast a handful of pine nuts, for a couple of minutes, until they are brown,
- Finely chop the rest of the sage and once all the liquid is absorbed stir in the sage and remaining roasted pumpkin.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add a large handful or rocket and the toasted pine nuts before enjoying.