Okay, you ready for a double dose of pumpkin? This recipe includes sweet, cinnamony pumpkin pie filling enveloped in soft dough or a cheesy, savory pumpkin-y filling. Both doughy and delicious. Both simple to make. These portable snacks will be your go-to recipe for fall.
Pumpkin Pie Stuffed Dough Balls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups cassava flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- Melted vegan butter or oil, to brush dough before baking
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
- 1 or 2 teaspoons nut butter per dough ball
- A dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
For the Savory Filling:
- Meltable vegan cheese of choice
- A dash of garlic salt
- Any other herbs of choice or savory filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine your flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in mixing bowl.
- Heat your milk for 1 or 2 minutes in the microwave.
- Gradually add in the hot milk and mix dough together until it becomes a thick dough-like batter.
- Scoop out a portion a little smaller than palm of your hand and roll into a ball. Should make around 7-8 balls.
- Press ball flat then place your choice of filling inside. A small spoonful of pumpkin, then your other choice of ingredient.
- So if you are making the sweet dough balls, add 1 teaspoon nut butter, a small spoonful or less of pumpkin, a dash of cinnamon, and a drizzle (1/2 teaspoon) of maple syrup.
- Next, cup the dough ball in your hand so that it closes the filling.
- Place upside down on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the filling process for the rest of your dough balls.
- Once on baking sheet, brush each dough ball with a little coconut oil or butter. You can sprinkle the pumpkin pie dough balls with coconut sugar just before baking.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until dough turns brown.