Earl grey simple syrup adds an beautiful flavor to this delicious bowl of comforting oatmeal. Try this recipe for an autumn breakfast that will start your day off right!
Pumpkin Earl Grey Oatmeal [Vegan]
For Earl Grey Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon earl grey tea leaves
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk of choice, or water (see notes)
- 1/4 cup quick-cook steel cut oats (see notes)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Earl Grey Simple Syrup
- pinch of salt
To make Earl Grey Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add sugar and stir until dissolved completely.
- Remove from heat and add earl grey tea leaves.
- Allow to steep. When cooled, strain out tea leaves and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month.
To make oatmeal:
- Bring milk (this recipe used 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/4 cu[ water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- After a couple minutes, stir in your pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, Earl Grey Simple Syrup, and salt. Stir occasionally.
- If desired, add more simple syrup to taste.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (nuts, coconut, dried fruit, etc.).
You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup.