This vegan pumpkin chili can be made in just 30 minutes but has such developed flavors that you'd think it had been simmering for hours. You could easily eat this on its own but serving it over wild rice and adding blanched kale leaves really takes this dish to the next level. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and you’ll be counting down the meals until when you can have this again. The secret ingredient (cinnamon!) really enhances the flavor and kicks up the fall vibes.
Pumpkin Chili With Wild Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Pumpkin Chili With Wild Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 ounces whole white mushrooms, stems removed and chopped into large chunks
- 15 ounces beans of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 pinches salt (more to taste)
- 14.5 ounce-can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 ounces canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5-6 stalks kale
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnishing
- Approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil
How to Prepare Pumpkin Chili With Wild Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Boil the rice in the vegetable stock, lower the heat, cover and simmer until all the broth is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, dice your onion and mushrooms and drain and rinse your beans.
- In a medium soup pot over medium heat, add your olive oil and sauté your onion until it starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic and stir together.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, salt, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and let those flavors cook together for a few minutes.
- Turn the heat down just a bit and add the pumpkin and the rest of the spices. Stir to combine and let the chili simmer until you're ready to serve.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil (for blanching your kale). Turn the heat off and then add the kale and boil for 2 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- Serve the rice, top with the chili, kale, and pumpkin seeds.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - All
- Pumpkin Seed
- Wild Rice
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2078 | Total Carbs: 380 g | Total Fat: 36 g | Total Protein: 93 g | Total Sodium: 4274 g | Total Sugar: 55 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.