A quick and easy vegan fix to tickle your tangy tastebuds! Jackfruit is incredibly versatile, and makes an excellent substitute for meat.
Pulled Jackfruit With a Quick BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 20-ounce can jackfruit
- 1 7-ounce jar tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tamari or other low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or other minimally processed sweetener
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- Pinch ground cloves
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and, using your fingers or a couple of forks, pull it apart so that it is shredded.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Mix well and add the shredded jackfruit. Simmer for about 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Serve on a whole grain bun with your favorite accompaniments.