You can make pretzel twists, rods, or little pretzel bites like we have here. They are great right out of the oven and honestly, you won’t have them around for very long. Dip into any dipping sauce you like- savory or sweet, these pretzel bites are such a treat!
Chewy Doughy Pretzel Bites [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- In a big bowl, whisk together the yeast, flour, salt, and sugar. Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix well. Cover and let sit for an hour or so until the dough has doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured work surface and shape the dough into a ball. Use a bench scraper to divide it into 4 smaller balls.
- At this point, if you want to save some of the dough, brush a piece of plastic wrap with oil and wrap the dough. Freeze until you want to make pretzels.
- Take a section of dough and roll it on a clean work surface. Roll into a long dough snake. Press with the heels of your hands from the middle to the ends and lengthen it as you roll. It will take less than a minute. Then use the bench scraper to cut the snake into little bite sized pieces. Roll them around to make them round.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring 4 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Use a spider strainer to drop a few pretzel bites at a time into the boiling water. In about 10 seconds, they will float up. Take it out with the spider strainer and place them onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!