The traditional Greek dish “potatoes oreganata" is cooked with lots of olive oil, chicken stock, lemon, and oregano. This version substitutes chicken stock for vegetable broth, making it into a delicious and filling dish that can be shared with everyone. The potatoes are sliced thin with additional Mediterranean elements added, like olives and fresh herbs. This is an easy dish to make for potlucks or big gatherings.
Potatoes Oreganata: Greek Hasselback Potato Casserole [Vegan]
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped.
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced.
- A handful of chopped olives
- A few tablespoons of fresh herbs, like basil and dill
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and pour half of the olive oil into a baking dish, making sure to cover the bottom and sides with the oil.
- Place the potatoes, broth, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, tomatoes, and olive oil in a large bowl. Combine well.
- Layer the potato mixture into stacked lines or a circular pattern. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Remove from oven and add olives, then bake another 20 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and top with lemon zest and fresh herbs.
- Serve alongside anything you like.
- Potato Recipes
- Russet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile