Vegan crispy potato skins topped with tempeh bacon crumbles, vegan cheese, and cashew sour cream. Can you say snacking perfection?
Potato Skins with Tempeh Bacon and Cashew Sour Cream [Vegan]
For the Potatoes:
- 3 medium/large organic russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- Avocado or grapeseed oil for brushing on the potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 batch tempeh bacon crumbles
- 1 1/2 cups grated vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup cashew sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
For the Tempeh:
- 1 (250 gram) block of organic tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
For Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 45 minutes beforehand and drained
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly brush 3 organic medium/large russet potatoes with a heat-tolerant oil. Avocado oil or grapeseed oil also work well. Pierce all over with a fork and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Bake until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 1 hour
- While the potatoes are baking, marinate the crumbled tempeh. Whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, smoked paprika, and pepper in a small dish. Place the crumbled tempeh in a glass dish and pour the liquid marinade over top. Stir to coat and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to soak in.
- Cut each potato into halves lengthwise, then into quarters. Scoop out centers, making sure that you leave a 1/2-inch thick layer of baked potato on the skins.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and place potato quarters skin side down on the sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the tempeh bacon crumbles in a skillet over medium heat until nicely browned and crispy.
- Prepare the cashew sour cream: Blend all ingredients together in a blender. A high speed blender will result in the smoothest sour cream, but if you have a regular blender, it will still turn out- it just might not get completely smooth.
- Top the potatoes with the tempeh bacon and cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cashew sour cream and green onion, and serve immediately.