You know those days when you don't know what to make for dinner and the veggie supply is running low. You look through the fridge and try to figure out what you can make from what you have, like it’s a basket on Chopped. It forces you to come up with the most creative of recipes that uses the few ingredients you have. In this case, there were potatoes, green beans, and a bunch of fresh spinach that needed to get used fast. And so, this recipe for vegan fritters was born. They are nice and crispy on the outside with creamy potatoes, garlicky spinach and ooey-gooey vegan cheese inside. The perfect combination. These vegan fritters don't seem like something just thrown together because of a lack of ingredients. Dip them in the homemade sauce to take them to the next level. Perfect for lunch, dinner, or some kind of get together, these vegan fritters are the definition of comfort food.
Potato and Spinach Cheddar Fritters With Horseradish Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Potato and Spinach Cheddar Fritters With Horseradish Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
For the Fritters:
- 5-6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large bunch fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, mined
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tsp. egg replacer +1/4 cup water
- 1 ½ cups vegan cheddar shreds
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Dipping Sauce:
How to Prepare Potato and Spinach Cheddar Fritters With Horseradish Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
For the fritters:
- Put the mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach by the handful, tossing it to coat in the oil. As it wilts, add more spinach. Add the garlic and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Then add it to the mixing bowl with the potatoes and mix well.
- In a mug, combine the egg replacer and water and mix well. Add it to the potatoes and spinach. Add the cheese and mix everything together. Taste for seasoning adjustments. Add in the flour and mix to combine. You want the mix to feel like it will hold together. Scoop up about 3 Tbs. of the mix and form it into a patty. Continue until you have used all the mix.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add four patties at a time and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Gently flip and cook the other side until golden brown, another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle a bit of kosher salt on top. Continue to cook all the patties, adding more oil as necessary. Serve with dipping sauce.
To make the dipping sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste for seasoning adjustments.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2681 | Total Carbs: 285 g | Total Fat: 134 g | Total Protein: 47 g | Total Sodium: 5977 g | Total Sugar: 28 g (Per Serving) Calories: 149 | Carbs: 16 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 332 g | Sugar: 2 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.