There's something about tater tots that just scream to be enjoyed. This version uses cauliflower and non-dairy, gluten-free cheese to up the flavor ante and make these almost too delicious to dip!
Potato and Cauliflower Tots [Vegan]
- 1 medium Idaho potato
- 1 head (4 1⁄2 cups) cauliflower, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons melted unscented coconut oil or olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1⁄2 cup grated or shredded vegan, gluten-free cheese
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- Leaves from 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Wrap the potato tightly in aluminum foil, poke thoroughly with a fork, and bake until a toothpick can be inserted easily,1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, onions, and oil, and toss well. Spread the mixture out on one of the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes, and set aside.
- Leaving the skin on, chop the potato into medium pieces and transfer to a food processor. Add the cauliflower mixture, vegan cheese, potato starch, rosemary, and salt, and pulse until the mixture looks like very lumpy mashed potatoes.
- Brush the second prepared baking sheet lightly with oil. Using a tablespoon, scoop out some of the potato mixture, roll it into a cylinder shape, and put it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture. Brush each tot lightly with oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes, and then rotate the baking sheet 180 degrees. Bake until golden and crisp, 8 minutes. Let the tots cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before serving.