There are no eggs and there’s no dairy, milk, or white sugar in this pudding. High in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, this dessert is simple to make. Served with a dollop of cream (dairy or coconut) and fresh fruit, this popular and simple dessert can be enjoyed all year round! You will love this Pot au Chocolat!
Pot au Chocolat [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pot au Chocolat [Vegan]
- 4 big fresh Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, softened
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
How to Prepare Pot au Chocolat [Vegan]
- Put the pitted dates into a small bowl and cover them with 1 1/2 cups warm water. Let the dates soak for a few minutes on the countertop to soften.
- Meanwhile, put the cashews in a microwave-proof bowl and cover them with tepid water. Cover with a lid or a plate and microwave on high heat for 3 minutes. Transfer the hot cashews into a strainer and drain all of the hot water. Next, rinse the cashews under cold running tap water to cool them. Finally, transfer the softened cashews to your blender bowl.
- Add the softened dates with all of the warm water they’ve soaked in into your blender bowl. Add the orange juice and zest.
- Cover and blend for 3 minutes, gradually increasing to the highest speed. You should obtain a creamy liquid that smells divine.
- Pour into a medium-size pot on the stove-top and adjust the heat to medium-high. Stir this constantly with a wooden spoon.
- When the mixture starts to bubble and plop, reduce the heat to medium-low and mix in the cacao powder until incorporated. Then add the maple syrup. Keep constantly stirring with a wooden spoon, allowing to simmer for 5 minutes total, no longer – start timing when it first starts to bubble. If need be, adjust or lower heat. The mixture will thicken and look glossy and darker.
- Immediately, pour the hot mixture into 3 or 4 ramekins or small cups and let cool at room temperature. Then, cover and put puddings in your fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve topped with cream of choice (dairy or coconut) and fresh fruit.
Store puddings in the fridge with a cover or foil.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.