These Mexican-inspired tostadas couldn't be more delicious! Portobello mushrooms, avocado, creamy refried beans, and cashew-chipotle cream all together on a crispy tortilla? What could possibly be better?
Portobello Tostadas With Chipotle Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil plus a little extra for brushing onto tortillas
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 green pepper, stem and seeds removed, and sliced into thin strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 small corn tortillas
- Cayenne pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup vegan refried beans
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked in water overnight and drained)
- 3/4 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add mushrooms and peppers and cook for for 6-8 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cumin, and cherry tomatoes. Cook for one minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush corn tortillas with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with cayenne pepper on one side.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 4-5 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven, and flip the tortillas over. Spread a layer of refried beans over the tortilla. Add a small layer of the cooked vegetables.
- Put back in oven for about 5-7 minutes, being careful not to burn. Depending on how thick the corn tortilla is, it may take less time to bake.
- Remove from oven and top with avocado slices, cilantro and chipotle cream (if desired).
- Add hot sauce, cashews, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, water, and sea salt to food processor. Blend until smooth.
You can also cook these tostadas in a toaster or convection oven.