These meaty mushrooms, drizzled with a balsamic reduction, sit atop a bed of cheesy, creamy homemade polenta. Pair it with some zesty roasted carrots or sweet potatoes, kale salad, and a glass of wine for a sweet and complete date night or Christmas dinner.
Portobello Mushroom Steaks With Cheesy Rosemary Polenta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Mushrooms:
- 4 Portobello mushrooms caps
- Sea salt or smoked salt for a grilled flavor, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- Approximately 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar per mushroom
For the Polenta:
- 2 cups of corn grits (pre-soaked for at least an hour is best)
- 6 cups water
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- A sprig of rosemary (do not chop)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the Garnish:
- Balsamic reduction
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- In a pot, add 6 cups of water and the cornmeal/grits. Leave to soak for 1-4 hours, for texture.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes, then add a sprig of rosemary. Stir every few minutes to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until all the liquid is soaked in.
- Heat the grill, stovetop grill or skillet till the oil sizzles, then add the seasoned portobello mushrooms.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar on each mushroom and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip the Portobellos, drizzle more balsamic and cook until desired (rare, medium, or well-done).
- Remove from stovetop and slice at an angle for presentation.
- On each plate, smash the polenta into a flat circle shape and then cover with the steaks.