This portobello bacon is so flavorful, crispy and delicious. It goes well in salads or by itself. For plant based eaters, it is a dream. And for meat eaters, it may be a surprising treat as well. Give it a go!
Portobello Bacon [Vegan]
- 3 medium sized portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 3-4 drops liquid paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Start with cutting the Mushrooms into really thin slices. Either with the knive or the mandoline.
- In a bowl, mix the oil, maple/agave/coconut blossom syrup, the liquid smoke and spices.
- Place the mushrooms inside and carefully massage the marinate into the mushrooms.
- Let this mixture sit for at least 30 minutes up to 1 night.
- Meanwhile cook your main dish or prepare the sauce
- For the sauce mix all ingredients together and stir until you get an emulsion (creamy sauce).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray – take care that they do not overlap.
- Bake them for around 15 minutes. Take out the tray and turn the mushrooms to create the extra crisp.