Pizza Soup With ‘Cheesy’ Croutons [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Large Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup Brown or White Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Medium Green Pepper, chopped
- 2 cups Baby Kale or Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 14 ounce can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or a mixture of dried oregano, basil & thyme)
- To taste Salt Pepper
For the 'Pizza' Croutons:
- 1 Small French Bread Baguette
- Pinch of Dried Oregano
- Pinch of Crushed Red pepper flakes
- Vegan mozzarella
- As needed Pitted black olives
Make the Soup:
Heat oil in a sauce pan; add onions, garlic and saute till the onions turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, green pepper and kale; cook till the veggies are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20~25 minutes. If using spinach, then add it during the last 5-7 minutes of simmering of the soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Make the 'Pizza' Croutons:
Place bread slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Top each with cheese and sprinkle oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
Divide the soup in bowls and top with cheesy 'pizza' croutons and Enjoy!!
If using kale, add them to the pan along with the veggies. But if using spinach, then add it to the soup while the soup is simmering.
- Cheesy Recipes